I’m back! I know I apologised for my lack of posts last time but I’m apologising again. I’ve spent the last few weeks adventuring around Plymouth and then celebrating my 22nd birthday at a hotel getaway so I haven’t really had the time to write. I also couldn’t bear the thought of any more cake as I’m currently being snowed under by mountains of it, and I haven’t done a Three Little Bears post for a while so here we are.
These are the best oats I have ever made. The best.
I’ve been a bit under the weather so I craved something warm and comforting and this porridge was like a great big hug in a bowl, a really big bowl. They’re banana flavoured, with lots of spice and topped with nutty bits so it felt like I was eating banana bread for breakfast, but better. I’m pretty sure I spooned on half the jar of lotus spread on top which I usually regret when my tongue gets stuck to the roof of my mouth but I didn’t because it melted all the way through and made a lake of caramelized biscuity heaven.
I really didn’t want this to end, which is clearly the sign of a good meal so if you’re a little unsure of how to break your fast this morning then I’d go get your bum into the kitchen and make this immediately. GO GO GO.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oil of choice or butter
- 1 cup liquid of choice, (milk/ almond/ water) I used water
- 1/2 teaspoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- TOPPINGS/ nuts, banana coins, seeds, heaping spoons of nut butter or biscuit spread, granola
1) In a saucepan, cook the banana with the oil for a few minutes until caramelised.
2) Add in the oats, liquid, peanut butter and all of the spices and simmer on low for about 10 minutes or until it gets the consistency that you like. Keep an eye on it and stir occasionally.
3) Scoop into a bowl and layer on your toppings. I used biscuit spread, sunflower seeds, goji berries and a tiny handful of granola.