Honestly, I’m struggling to find words to write this post today. I’m tired, I’ve been caught out in 3 downpours since Monday (literally soaked through) so I’m feeling constantly chilly, and I ache EVERYWHERE. I’m finding it difficult to efficiently communicate with people because all I want to do it hibernate. So to try and make myself feel slightly better, and prepare myself for another rainy journey to work, I whipped up a batch of the most indulgent, fattiest, fudgiest brownies which I’m now going to shove my face into whilst I cradle my hot water bottle and watch appalling day time TV.
MAKES 6 LARGE BROWNIES
- 2 oz dark chocolate, (I used this) roughly chopped
- just over 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup peanut chocolate spread
- 1 cup brandy salted caramel sauce (from here) or you can make your own but I’m lazy
- sea salt, to sprinkle
- mixed chopped nuts, to sprinkle
1) Preheat the oven to 170C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2) Put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and leave until it’s melted. Alternatively, place in a microwave safe bowl and blast for 30 second intervals for about 1 minute 30.
3) Remove from the heat and then add the sugar until combined.
4) Pour into a large mixing bowl and add the cocoa powder, flour and salt. Stir well until incorporated.
5) Crack in the eggs and then mix until glossy and smooth.
6) Pour half of the batter into the tin and then place on small spoonfuls of the peanut chocolate spread and then drizzle over 1/4 of the salted caramel sauce. Then, pour over the remaining batter and pop into the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the top is flakey. Don’t overcook!! It should still be soft in the middle.
7) Leave to cool completely in the tin and then drizzle on the remaining sauce. Sprinkle over chopped nuts and then a pinch of sea salt. Cut into squares and tuck in.