The wrong person was definitely kicked off Bake Off last week, because what the hell was that SHOWSTOPPER MATT? Where did your ice cream go?? Why are you making a Swiss Roll ?!
To be honest, I would of probably ended up with that but then I’d probably go home. In fact, I would of just left after the technical challenge. Are gluten free pita breads always grey?
I often substitute refined sugar for honey or syrup or just throw a wild one and not use it at all. I’ve said from the very start that these recipes are a guideline and you can mix it up however you choose. I’ll always write it complete with sugar/ butter/ plain flour and all those other heart-stopping ingredients but it’s up to you whether you follow them, I don’t even follow them half of the time.
Gone all out with this one and made it vegan, gluten free and less sugar because why not kill three birds with one stone? Usually all of those little initials at the end of recipe puts me off because I cannot afford all these bizarre ingredients one substitutes for every dietary issue going. And that realllllllyyy annoys me. It’s a bugbear. It’s not impossible to eat healthy and abide by your body on a budget (it really isn’t), but it would be if I had to buy coconut oil every week. How do you guys do it?? WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING?
- 3-4 large apples, peeled and chopped
- lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey, to drizzle (optional/ I didn’t use any this time)
- 1 punnet grapes
- 1-2 cups blueberries
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon gluten free flour
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- pinch of salt
- 1/4-3/4 cup vegetable oil (I used rapeseed)
- flaked almonds, to sprinkle
- Preheat the oven to 220.
- Toss the apple slices in lemon juice and honey if using. Lay out on a baking tray in a single layer and roast for 25 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Whilst doing this, pour the grapes and blueberries in a saucepan with enough water to cover them. Add the cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil and then leave to simmer until the grapes have burst slightly and the blueberries have reduced down.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, salt and the vegetable oil until crumbly.
- When the fruit has cooked, lay out in a baking dish. Top with the crumble mix and then bake for 3-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top with the flaked almonds once out of the oven.