A MINCE SPY.
Ho ho ho.
FOR THE MINCEMEAT
- 270g dark brown sugar
- 200g each of raisins, sultanas and currants
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 100g mixed peel
- 1 orange, rind and juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 100ml brandy
FOR THE PASTRY
- 375g plain flour
- 260g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 egg, plus extra for glazing
- icing sugar, to dust
- MAKE AT LEAST A DAY AHEAD. For the mincemeat, combine all of the ingredients and spoon into sterelised jars. Refrigerate until needed.
- For the pastry, combine the butter and flour in a bowl and rub with your fingers until crumby. Add the sugar and the egg, mix, and then tip onto a lightly floured surface. Lightly fold, or knead, until it just comes together (don’t overmix!) Chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Roll out the pastry until about 3-4mm thick and cut out circles slightly bigger than the holes in your muffin tray.
- Place roughly a tablespoon of mincemeat in the middle and cut off the overhanging pastry.
- Cut out stars from the leftover pastry and place on top.
- Brush over beaten egg and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar.